Saturday

Daily Light On The Daily Path

View at Amazon

I have more than 75 devotional books in my personal library. I own some really, really good ones (not counting those that are little more than a cute story or someone's personal experience/commentary with a line of Scripture attached). When I decided to follow through with a devotional book for this year I was torn about which one I should choose, until I flipped through this one and realized it was comprised of nothing but Scripture. That settled it for me; I feel that's just what I need: the maximum amount of Scripture content. In this case, that's 100% Scripture. 

This devotional is a classic by Samuel Bagster, compiled by his son Jonathan Bagster. It was first published in the 1800's and today you can read it in different Bible translations (such as KJV, NKJV, NIV, and ESV). The one I have is in the God's Word translation (GW). The strength of this devotional is that each reading is comprised only of various Scripture verses so Scripture speaks to Scripture. There is no commentary. 

It's so rich and yet so easy to read. I love to stop and reflect on the theme is being emphasized by each portion of reading. In that way, I can fully engage the reading and not just gloss over it like a story. I admit that I find myself getting into Bible study mode when I use this devotional so I wish I could also have it in NKJV version (which I prefer for delving deeper into the meaning of words and phrases). To end my reading, I can directly convert my readings into personalized prayers and know that it's all explicitly Bible based. I know this is one book I will be returning to no matter what else is in my library. 

Below are some other year-long devotionals I wish I also had the time to read in their entirety this year:

The Way by E. Stanley Jones
Drawing Closer to God: 365 Daily Meditations on Questions from Scripture by Dianne Neal Matthews


Do you use a devotional? What's your pick for this month or year?


No comments:

Post a Comment