Thursday

Start reading and giving

slide_home_new-c4f71eb53cec932be6952f025e9cd917-2012-11-15-21-26.jpg

I am a hopeless book aficionado. That’s why my Kindle library never stops growing and my wooden bookshelf can’t hold many more titles. I am grateful to my father for making sure that my siblings and I had a varied and extensive library when we were younger. As a result I was reading theological works and non-fiction, as well as novels and classic fiction, that was considered way beyond my age from early childhood. In fact, when my father took me to the public library just out of my toddler years, not knowing the library had an age regulation and I was too young, the sympathetic librarian decided to give me an impromptu reading test which I impressed her by breezing through. I was thereafter a regular at the library.

I would wish that I worked at the library, or at least that I could get locked into it after closing hours and have the entire time to read and browse to my heart’s delight. As a college student I did have the opportunity to work at the library one summer. And much to my dismay, actually having to work did not leave time for reading on the job! Nevertheless, the influence of books has definitely had a big impact on my success at school at every level, as well as my general knowledge, and my ability to interact with a wide variety of people and topics of discussion. Encouraging a love for reading quality books is truly one of the greatest gifts you could ever give your child.

On that note, have you heard about the We Give Books initiative? We Give Books is a fantastic resource for parents, teachers, and anyone who loves to read children’s books. They have a free online library of over 150 outstanding children’s books available at www.wegivebooks.org, including well known titles your children are bound to love. The best part is, your reading will directly impact the great work of non-profit organizations around the world! At the time of writing this post, your reading can help bring relief to those affected by Hurricane Sandy which brought wide-scale devastation to Northeastern parts of the US in November 2012. Head over to www.wegivebooks.org to join for Free and find out more about this wonderful initiative. Start reading and giving!

hurricane-slide-0788326a446432ee06c98521d85129c4-2012-11-15-21-26.jpg
I am publicizing We Give Books on my personal blog at my own initiative, simply because I believe in what they’re doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment